Windows 10 is well known for forced updates and the extremely inopportune times at which it downloads them, installs them and restarts your PC. Only Enterpprise editions of the Windows 10 operating system have the ability to control how updates are delivered and installed. Home editions and also the Pro edition of Windows 10 are locked down to get updates whenever Microsoft decides to push them out. A huge number of users are not happy with this behavior. So that is how Windows 10 Update Disabler was born.Windows 10 Update Disabler is created by PainteR, the author of many other impressive themes and apps, including my favorite app, Universal Watermark Disabler. Windows 10 Update Disabler is a special tool to avoid Windows 10 Updates.
Table of contents
- What is Windows 10 Update Disabler
- How to install Windows 10 Update Disabler
- How to uninstall Windows 10 Update Disabler
What is Windows 10 Update Disabler
Windows Update Disabler is just a service which runs in the background and terminates attempts by Windows Update to install anything. Unlike other tools, it is very transparent and does not require configuration.
According to the author, it does not rely on Windows Registry values because Windows can overwrite them any time without your knowledge or consent. Instead, it uses an undocumented system call to check the current state of Windows Update and tries to terminate it immediately. Once started, it also disables all scheduled tasks related to Windows Update, including the task which automatically restarts your PC while you are in the middle of something important.
Watch the following video to see the app in action:You can subscribe to our YouTube channel HERE.
Here is how to use the app if you decide to give it a chance.
Before you continue: The author claims that he developed the app for himself, to protect his PC from unwanted updates. You might not agree with him and with his vision of the problem. He has not tested it extensively. I checked the tool in my virtual machine and found no issues. It does exactly what it claims to do.
How to install Windows 10 Update Disabler
- Download the Windows Update Disabler app from here:Download Windows 10 Update Disabler
- Unpack the file UpdaterDisabler.exe to a folder you want. The EXE of this tool will run from this folder.
- Open an elevated command prompt in that folder. Tip: See the article How to open an elevated command prompt in Windows 10.
- Type or copy-paste the following command at the command prompt in this folder: UpdaterDisabler -installThis will install the service and activate it immediately.
How to uninstall Windows 10 Update Disabler
- Open an elevated command prompt in the folder you the UpdaterDisabler.exe. See the article How to open an elevated command prompt in Windows 10.
- Type or copy-paste the following command at the command prompt in this folder: UpdaterDisabler -removeThis will uninstall the service and deactivate it.
It’s a shame that we have to use a third party app to stop Windows 10 from downloading updates. This option should be available out of the box.